Marketing your plumbing business can be a daunting task. What digital marketing strategies should you employ? How do you know which ones to use for the best results? In this complete guide to digital marketing for plumbers, we will cover all of the digital marketing tactics that a plumbing company could use! This includes websites, local SEO, lead magnets, booking forms and social media channels. We will also discuss paid advertising such as pay per click advertising with Google Adwords. With these digital marketing tips and tools at your disposal, you’ll have no problem growing your plumbing business!
How to get found by your potential customers
There are many digital marketing strategies that you can employ to get found by new potential customers.
Marketing your plumbing business isn’t easy. You need to know where to start and how to differentiate between the digital marketing tactics available so you can grow successfully. First of all, let’s take a look at some of the digital marketing strategies you can use.
- Your website
- Content marketing through your blog, videos on YouTube although can be time consuming over time the extra effort pays off
- Local SEO is another digital marketing tactic that will help grow your plumbing business by getting it listed higher in the organic search rankings
- Social media channels like Facebook and Instagram
- Lead magnets are digital marketing tools that you can use to get the email addresses of potential customers
- Pay per click advertising on Google Adwords will help bring in new leads into your business through cost-effective PPC campaigns. We’ll go more into this digital marketing tactic further down below!
Let’s go through each of these items in detail.
The Beginning of Your Digital Marketing Strategy: Plumbing Websites
Creating an effective website for your plumbing business is critical to success. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps you need to take to make sure your website is effective in marketing your plumbing services.
1. Plan your website before you start building it. This means deciding on the structure, navigation and layout of your website.
When creating your site structure, you should think about what you want to include on your website, including the following:
- Services page (Add sub-service pages for boiler installation, boiler repairs, bathroom installation etc)
- About Us page
- Contact page
2. Include important information on each page. When creating your pages, make sure to include important information such as the title, meta description, and keywords. This will help your website rank higher in search engine results.
3. Use a professional web design template that is designed for plumbing businesses. This will give your website an instant professional look.
4. Make sure your website is responsive and fast so that it loads quickly (It needs to be less than 3 seconds and is a major google search ranking factor) and looks good on all devices, from desktop computers to smartphones and tablets.
5. Use high-quality photos and videos of your work to showcase your skills and services.
6. Write clear and compelling service descriptions. Your services descriptions should include:
- What your company does and how it can help the customer
- How do you provide good value for money
- Your location and the locations you cover (this is important because most people use Google Maps to find local businesses)
- Links to your Social media
- A call to action, with a simple line of text and an obvious button for people to click on in order to contact you. For example “Contact us today” or “Get in touch”. Make this button stand out so it is easy for visitors to spot. This will help drive the user to act.
- Your contact details, including your phone number and email address.
- Keep the website fresh by adding new content regularly – at least once a month, if not more often – or hire us to do it for you!
Additional features you should consider having on your website are :
- Testimonials from happy customers.
- A photo gallery of some before and after shots to convince people you really can do what your website says. Showcase the best images on your homepage for maximum impact!
- An online booking or quote system so that visitors can easily ask for a service without having to pick up the phone, the additional benefit of this is that potential customers can do this at any time.
- A blog or news section to keep your website fresh and interesting.
- A chat widget so that potential customers can contact you directly from the website.
At Lion Spirit Media we create beautiful websites for plumbing and heating companies like yours. We keep them up to date and secure, report on their performance, suggest how they can be further optimised and can create a bespoke content marketing strategy for your website as well as produce the content to help your website grow organically.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Local SEO for Plumbing and Heating Companies
SEO is the process of optimising your website in order to rank higher for certain keywords in search engine results. This means that when people are searching on Google or Bing for specific searches, your site will come up at the top of their search results and they can click through to it.
SEO makes sense when you have a small budget for advertising and would like to get more customers through other, non-paid methods such as organic search rankings.
Why your Plumbing and Heating Business needs SEO
SEO is free as long as you have the time!
It helps build brand awareness by increasing the chances of your website appearing on Google or Bing for specific searches related to what you do (i.e Plumbers in London)
It can help drive more traffic to your site, which means more potential customers
You are not paying per click or impression, so you only pay for results.
Google Analytics is a great way of tracking the performance of your website and understanding what works well (i.e pages with high bounce rates) as well as areas that need improvement
When starting in SEO you will create a unique set of keywords that you can target on your website to help it rank higher in search results. When carrying out this research it is important to find specific terms that potential customers would be looking for, using the long-tail approach. This means that rather than targeting very broad searches like “plumber” or “heating engineer”, you create a list of more specific terms that people might use to search for your services. For example, “emergency plumber london” or “local heating engineer”. Not only is the long tail approach shown to have higher conversion rates than broad keywords, but it also makes you stand out from other plumbing companies because people are less likely to find you using very generic terms.
Local SEO is a very specific type of SEO with the aim to increase your ranking on Google Maps and show up in local search results. Local SEO is important as people are more likely to click through if they live nearby, or it could be a good idea for those that want to drive traffic from surrounding areas (i.e London).
Lion Spirit Media can help you with both types of SEO to get your website in front of more customers and drive traffic that converts into sales. We work closely with our clients, offering a personalised service every step of the way including monthly reporting on how their websites are performing to provide insights as well as creating content to further enhance the success of their website.
Social Media Marketing for Plumbers and Heating Engineers
Social media is one of the best ways to reach your target audience and helps to increase brand awareness. It’s also a great way for you to engage with potential customers, whether that means responding by asking questions or starting discussions about things they may be interested in (i.e local news, industry changes etc.)
You can use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or LinkedIn to help get your company in front of more people.
When you are creating social media accounts it is important that they are tailored to what you do and who you want to target. For example, if you specialise in bathroom installations only then perhaps the best way for you would be Facebook and Instagram as the users of both of these platforms respond well to visual content.
Lion Spirit Media can help you create a social media strategy that is suitable for your business, whether it means increasing page likes or creating engaging content to post on different platforms.
Paid Adverts for Plumbers and Heating Engineers
Paid ads are a great way to target specific audiences and promote your website. You can use Facebook, Instagram or Google Ads that only show up to people who have certain interests or characteristics (i.e location, age group etc.).
Google Ads are probably the most popular option for businesses in the Plumbing and Heating Industry as you can very specifically the keywords, target audience and locations that show up in search results. The CPC (cost-per-click) model allows you to only pay if someone clicks on your ad, which is great because then it doesn’t cost anything unless there’s genuine interest in your services. Google Ads are also a great way of giving a brand new website a boost as it takes a while (it can take more than 6 weeks) for new websites to start ranking in Google organically, Pay-per-click Ads get your website to the top of google much quicker.
Facebook and Instagram Ads also work well for this industry as again, you can very specifically target your audience and show up in their newsfeeds, however as this is more based on audience personas it may not work well for all Plumbing and Heating businesses.
Paid advertising is an effective way of driving traffic and converting those visitors into leads immediately (often within 24 hours). It does however require some effort to set up and often requires daily maintenance to ensure that the best return from your spend is achieved.
Lion Spirit Media can help set up paid ads campaigns to make sure they run smoothly and provide traffic that is targeted at the right people who are interested in your services.
Lead Magnets for Plumbing and Heating Businesses
One of the most popular ways to turn a lead into a customer is by providing them with an incentive in exchange for their contact details. This can be done by offering free information, guides or resources that are relevant to your industry and intended audience.
These posts should not be too long as you only want people to read them if they have shown an interest in your company, so they should be more of an introduction to what you do.
It’s also important that the content is relevant and informative as this will encourage people to read it and then provide their contact details at the end where applicable (this could for example require filling out a form or providing some information on how best to get hold of them).
For example, if you are a heating engineer offering guides on how to maintain your boiler or save money on energy bills would be something that people may appreciate and then provide their contact details in exchange for it.
Lion Spirit Media have designed lead magnets for Plumbing & Heating businesses across the UK so get in touch today!
The internet is a powerful tool for reaching out to new customers and making sales.
A website and social media accounts are great for advertising and getting your message out. Paid ads on the other hand can drive traffic and instantly convert that audience into new sales or enquiries.
We know Plumbers are busy, and the techniques we have described above are time-consuming! So why not continue doing what you do best and have us handle what we specialise in! Lion Spirit Media has a wealth of experience in helping Plumbing & Heating businesses gain more leads and customers through digital marketing so get in touch today for a free consultation.